Bars ordered to close after breaking city guidelines

Elana Bush

Red Eye Bar and Grill is ordered to close by the City of New Orleans

Domenic Mesa, News Editor

This past week, many New Orleans bars were shut down after operating illegally during modified Phase Two restrictions.

Phase Two restrictions mandate bars must stop the sale of alcohol after 11 p.m. Many of the bars allegedly continued to serve customers after the curfew.

In a Feb. 6 tweet, Mayor LaToya Cantrell addressed non-compliance with New Orleans COVID-19 restrictions.

The City of New Orleans overnight shut down several bars across the city for failure to comply with restrictions implemented in response to the COVID-19 pandemic…. In some instances, the bar’s entrances were locked, and patrons (many unmasked) were served past the 11 p.m. closing time,” Cantrell tweeted.

The Hullabaloo reached out to the Mayor’s Office for further comment. 

“The bars are shut down until the City allows them to reopen in writing,” New Orleans officials said. “To resume operations, the owner of the above listed establishment must provide an operational and management plan to Tammie Jackson, Director of the Department of Safety and Permits. This plan must detail how the establishment shall adhere to each of the Modified Phase 2 Guidelines. This establishment may not resume operations until the plan is reviewed and approved by the Director of the Department of Safety and Permits in writing.”

Cadi Corner, TJ Quills, The District, The Red Eye, Sinai’s Gourmet Restaurant, The Fifth Quarter Sports Lounge & Courtyard and G7 Event Hall were among the businesses closed.

When asked about repercussions for the offending businesses, New Orleans officials stated the City will be pursuing legal courses of action. 

“Fines will be determined soon. Each establishment may be subject to a range of further action by the Department, including an emergency suspension of the alcohol beverage outlet (ABO) permit pursuant to City Code Sec. 10-78(e), adjudicative action in accordance with Chapter 6 of the City Code, revocation of the ABO permit pursuant to City Code 10-157, and a fine and imprisonment pursuant to City Code Sec. 54-501.”

New Orleans officials were unable to provide information detailing Tulane students’ level of involvement. 

A Twitter account tagged The Hullabaloo in a series of posts that shows videoed students leaving a bar. 

“@ FandM’s in New Orleans. Happening right now! These are Tulane students. Shut it down,” the Twitter user wrote.

One of the individuals in the video stated they live in Greenbaum Residence Hall. At the time of these posts, Feb. 4, students had been asked by Tulane administration to limit unessential activities. 

In a Feb. 8 email, President Mike Fitts, Robin Forman, vice president for academic affairs and provost and Patrick Norton, senior vice president and chief operating officer lifted the Safer-at-Home restrictions that were in effect from the previous week. This email was delivered to the Tulane community following an announcement from New Orleans officials that bars will cease operations during Mardi Gras.

“These Mardi Gras Restrictions shall be in place from Friday, February 12, 2021 at 6:00 a.m. through Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 6:00 a.m,” New Orleans officials said.

Tulane administration provided students with a list of COVID-19-friendly options when celebrating Mardi Gras this year. Fitts, Forman and Norton emphasized the importance of following university COVID-19 guidelines during the Mardi Gras season. Students who do not follow university restrictions will risk the possibility of suspension or expulsion. 

The first scheduled Lagniappe Day of the semester will be Feb. 16, on Mardi Gras.