Women’s basketball continues strong season

Harrison Simon, Sports Editor

The Tulane women’s basketball team knew that the middle stretch of their schedule would be crucial to their season’s ultimate success or failure. The Green Wave has risen to the challenge and is racking up wins as they keep building momentum and team chemistry as postseason play nears.

When The Hullabaloo last looked at the women’s season, the team sat at 8-4 and 4-3 in conference. Since then, the team has been outplaying nearly every team it has faced, only dropping one game in the process. The team is also riding a six-game winning streak that includes multiple wins over the Wichita State Shockers and the Temple University Owls.

The team is led in scoring by freshman Jerkalia Jordan, who is averaging 14.8 points, 4.1 rebounds and 2.9 assists per game. Seniors Krystal Freeman and Arsula Clark are just behind Jordan with 13.1 and 12.1 points per game, respectively.

Salma Bates drives towards the basket. (Parker Waters)

While the Olive and Blue have not moved up in the conference standings and trail the University of South Florida Golden Bulls, who have yet to lose in conference play, the team is optimistic about the rest of the season. With just four games left until the American Athletic Conference tournament starts on March 8, the team hopes it can keep clicking long enough to make a magical run to the women’s NCAA tournament. Both the men’s and the women’s tournaments will be played in San Antonio, Texas, under strict COVID-19 protocols for all teams and personnel.

On an exciting note, legendary head coach Lisa Stockton is seeking her 600th career win. If the Green Wave beats the University of South Florida on Saturday, Stockton will become just the 77th NCAA coach in women’s basketball history to reach the milestone. Furthermore, she can become only the 19th coach to ever reach the 600-win plateau at the Division 1 level.

With less than three weeks until the conference tournament begins, the women’s basketball team can hope it has saved its best play for when it matters most.