Arcade’s guide to March events

Meredith Abdelnour, Arcade Editor

calendar notepad with march events written on it
Emma Vaughters

Spring has arrived in New Orleans, bringing warm weather and sunny skies! Arcade has compiled a mix of outdoor activities and exciting virtual events happening in March. 

Hierarchy of Hookups and Politics of Pleasure: The Unspoken Rules

March 5, 4:30 p.m.

As a part of Tulane’s second annual Sex Week, author and Tulane professor Lisa Wade will be speaking about hookup culture on campus, taking into account important factors like race, gender and virginity. Wade teaches in the sociology department at Tulane and wrote “American Hookup: The New Culture of Sex on Campus,” published in 2017.

Piety Market in Exile

March 13, 11 a.m.

The Piety Market in Exile has adjusted to an outdoor, socially-distanced format due to the pandemic, but still offers local art, food and community. Whether you’re looking for vintage clothes, new plants or handcrafted goods, this local art market has got you covered. This event will also have live music by Dave Rebeck & Friends.

Saturdays at New Orleans African American Museum

March 20, 11 a.m.

On the third Saturday of every month, NOAMM welcomes the community to their museum to celebrate community and support Black-owned businesses. The event will host vendors, farmers and artists. Admission to the museum will also be free, but visitors are encouraged to look into a NOAMM membership to support Black museums. 

New Orleans French Film Festival

March 23-31

2021 marks the 24th year of the New Orleans French Film Festival, a festival dedicated to celebrating classic and contemporary French film. This year includes films from many up-and-coming directors such as Logan Leblanc, Rosine Mfetgo Mbakam and Jordi Gueyrard. Films will be screened outdoors at The Broadside, as well as available for streaming at home. If your French isn’t quite up to par, don’t fret — all films will have English subtitles. 

TUCP Concerts Presents: Phoebe Bridgers

March 25, 8 p.m.

Popular indie-rocker Phoebe Bridgers is joining Tulane for a virtual concert! The event features a live Q&A with Bridgers, moderated by Chris Finney. Bridgers, known for her vulnerable lyrics and beautiful melodies, has been nominated for four Grammy awards, including Best New Artist.