Tulane Baseball enters AAC play with six straight wins

Parker Waters

Tulane baseball has won the last six of their eight games

Jude Papillion, Sports Editor

With 20 games remaining in the regular season, Tulane Baseball has won their last six consecutive games and currently stands with a 17-13 record overall and a 6-1 record in the American Athletic Conference. 

On March 23, the Green Wave played their first of three games against Grand Canyon University, defeating the Antelopes 7-4 at home. The Green Wave was down 4-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning, until RBIs from Simon Baumgardt and Frankie Niemann cut the score to 4-2. Later in the inning, freshman Jacob LaPrairie hit a 406-foot grand slam into deep right, making the score 6-4 and putting the game out of reach for the Antelopes. Despite Tulane’s great win in game one, the Green Wave dropped the second and third games of the series 8-7 and 6-0 respectively.

On March 30, the Green Wave played Tuesday night ball against Jackson State University, beating the Tigers 10-7. Bennett Lee led the Wave with four runs in the ballgame, finishing three for five at the plate and hitting his third homer of the year.

RHP Donovan Benoit on the mound. (Parker Waters)

On April 1, Tulane baseball began AAC play when it hosted the University of Memphis at Greer Field at Turchin Stadium for the first of a four-game series. While the Green Wave fell to the Tigers in the first game 4-3, the team rallied to sweep the rest of the series. After Memphis started with an early 1-0 lead in game two, junior left-handed pitcher Jack Aldrich dominated, allowing just four hits, two walks and one earned run in his seven innings pitched that empowered Tulane’s offense to score seven runs to win the game. The Green Wave had a dominating game three, taking down Memphis 11-2. Tulane had another dominant performance from its pitchers, with Donovan Benoit striking out six and allowing one earned run in seven innings while Robert Price went scoreless and allowed only a single hit in two innings. The Green Wave remained hot offensively, collecting 13 hits and six RBIs in the ballgame. In the final game of the series, Tulane handed the Tigers another loss, winning the ballgame 8-2. In the game, eight of Tulane’s starters had a hit while six starters scored. Trent Johnson pitched for seven scoreless innings, striking out two and allowing just three hits. 

Tulane’s four game series against the University of South Florida, originally scheduled to be played from April 9-11 was postponed due to COVID-19 related issues with USF’s baseball program. It is uncertain whether or not the series will be rescheduled for later in the season.

OF Jared Hart at bat against Wichita State. (Parker Waters)

On April 16, the Green Wave began the first of three games against Wichita State University. In the series’ opening game, Tulane scored six runs on eight hits while only allowing Wichita State to score three runs on seven hits, striking out 12 and walking just three batters to win the game 6-3. In game two of the series, Tulane beat the Shockers 3-2 and was led by Lee who had two hits and an RBI. Aldrich won the game for Tulane with one earned run, five hits allowed and six strikeouts in six innings while Keagan Gillies recorded the save with one hit and seven strikeouts in three innings. The Green Wave completed its sweep of the Shockers 8-7 in game three as Lee and Chase Engelhard combined for six hits, three RBIs, and four runs. The originally scheduled game four against Wichita State was canceled. 

After spending over a month at home, Tulane Baseball will travel to Memphis, Tennessee from April 23-25 to face Memphis for a second four-game series before returning home to face the University of Houston in four games from April 30-May 2.