In Earshot: Hispanic, Latinx musicians you need to hear

Emma Vaughters

In Earshot Graphic

Grace Pearson-Thompson, Arcade Editor

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, we’ve put together a highlight reel of Hispanic and Latinx artists that need to be in your rotation. Regardless of genre, you can’t miss these powerhouse artists. 

Luna Luna

Luna Luna started with a person named Kavvi, who was born in Colombia and raised in Dallas. The band soon expanded to four members performing house shows around the state of Texas: Kavvi, Danny Bonilla, Kaylin Martinez and Ryan Gordon. Luna Luna consistently creates dreamy, synth-loaded hits, illustrating an ambiance that modernizes the slow-dancing-in-a-school-gym-in-the-1980s vibe. Their most well-known tracks include “Commitment,” “For You” and “Daydream.” 

The Marías 

María Zardoya and Josh Conway came together to create a psychedelic-soul force to be reckoned with, The Marías. Their discography can best be described as hypnotic, in the best way possible. Their first EP, “Superclean Vol. I,” got rave reviews and racked up millions of streams, namely for the songs “Only in My Dreams” and “I Don’t Know You.” In 2018 when “Superclean Vol II.” was released, the band again garnered plenty of attention, specifically for “Cariño.” The Marías found even further success in releasing covers and remixes: their cover of “…Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears went viral on TikTok, they were featured on a collection of remixes of “Kyoto” by Phoebe Bridgers, and they collaborated with Still Woozy to remix “Hush.” 

José González 

I genuinely cannot emphasize enough the hold that González’s albums “Veneer” and “Vestiges & Claws” had on me in early high school and still has on me to this day. González has been in the music scene since the 1990s, but his sound has evolved from indie rock to bossa nova to stripped-down acoustic love songs. One of González’s most popular songs, “Heartbeats,” has been on my Spotify Wrapped for at least four years in a row. He has five albums – including one that was released on Sept. 17 of this year! – for your listening pleasure: “Veneer,” “In Our Nature,” “Vestiges & Claws,” “Live in Europe” and “Local Valley.” 

Daniela Andrade 

I first found Andrade’s music when I was a fiend for acoustic covers of any given song during my sophomore year of high school. What caught my eye was her album entirely composed of covers, “Covers, Vol. 1.” The number of times I listened to Andrade’s take on “Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop” by Landon Pigg is probably a little bit embarrassing. Her cover of “Creep” by Radiohead racked up more than 17 million streams, but her version of “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley and her rendition of “La Vie En Rose” take the popularity cake. Andrade has released equally incredible originals, my favorite of which is “K.L.F.G.” Her original music is an ideal blend of jazz, soul and R&B. Andrade is evidently seasoned in the art of lyricism and somehow perfectly pairs beautifully written lines with delightfully unpredictable chord progressions.