@boysbeware.tulane shuts down after growing popularity

Lily Mae Lazarus, Managing Editor

In 2021, @boysbeware.tulane an Instagram account became a space for female students to anonymously share their experiences with sexual assault at Tulane University.

On Nov. 17, @boysbeware.tulane disappeared, announcing their departure from the social media platform in a post titled “Thank You” before deleting the account all together.

At the time of its deletion the private account had amassed over 2,000 followers. 

“With all of the traction and support that we have gained on this platform, there have also been questions raised about how the account is structured, whether this has been helping or hurting, what kind of implications it has on our community and the exclusion of some victims’ voices” read the farewell post. “To everyone, we want to sincerely apologize if this has been your experience on this account.”

Within hours of @boysbeware.tulane’s final post, a list surfaced naming alleged perpetrators mentioned on the account. Soon after, more names appeared on the list. It is unclear where the list originated nor if its content was verified. The document has since been deleted.

Resources are available for Tulane students who are victims of sexual violence. Contact Sexual Assault Peer Hotline and Education‘s 24/7 Peer Run Hotline at 504-654-9543 if you need help. 

Tulane Emergency Medical Services can be reached at 504-865-5911. TEMS is a free, student-run service. In addition, Tulane University Police Department’s non-emergency Uptown number is 504-865-5381.

You can also reach out to Case Management and Victim Support Services at 504-314-2160 and they can offer support and help you file a report.

RAINN: Rape Abuse + Incest National Network provides resources that are LGBTQ+ inclusive and can be reached at 800-656-4673.