Fall events help acclimate new students to Tulane life

Canela López, News Editor

Come the beginning of every fall semester, a swarm of young, eager freshmen ready to take on university life and engage with the Tulane community flutter through the college grounds. With these freshmen, comes a need for the administration to help acclimate them. Here is a list of just few of the activities planned for first years students to truly become Tulanians.

Sept. 1 – Fall Activities Expo – 5 – 7 p.m. – Lavin-Bernick Center Quadrangle

The Fall Activities Expo is a gathering of all of Tulane’s various student organizations under several awnings in the middle of the Lavin-Bernick Center Quad, all attempting to get new members. Many Tulane students agree this is one of the best events to meet new people and try new things.

Sept. 3 – Outreach Tulane – 8 a.m. – McAlister Auditorium

The city-wide day of service focuses on instilling Tulane’s motto “Not for one’s self, but for one’s own” into the Tulane community. Students are driven throughout the city to participate in various service projects. This year, due to the recent flooding throughout southern Louisiana, a cohort will also be traveling to Baton Rouge.

Sept. 20 – Eliminating Sexual Violence in Our City and Community – 12-1:15 p.m. – Lavin-Bernick Center Room 212

According to the National Institute of Justice, between 20 and 25 percent of women in higher education experience either completed or attempted rape during their college career. This open forum will be held to discuss ways for students, staff and faculty alike to challenge sexual violence in New Orleans and the Tulane community. All are invited to come and participate.

Sept. 22 – Shifting the Paradigm featuring Kate Harding, author of “Asking For It” 7-9 p.m. – Dixon Hall

The freshman reading project is an annual assignment given to the incoming freshmen class in order to help facilitate discussion in TIDES classes and among the Tulane community as a whole. This year’s book was “Asking for it” by Kate Harding. On Sept. 22, the author will be holding a lecture in Dixon Hall.