Tulane community members come together for Homecoming

Omar Shbeeb | Staff Photographer

Tulane students enjoy carnival rides, food, and local music Friday night on the LBC Quad. The night culminated in a fireworks display.

The New Orleans hot weather returned, alumni flooded campus and events ranging from tailgating to carnivals filled students’ weeks with school spirit. It was Homecoming time.

For this year’s Homecoming festivities, The Tidal Wave Week 2017 was branded with the slogan “Come TUgether.”

“Come TUgether [is] a means of bringing together a diverse campus where we all have made it home in different ways,” senior and Tidal Wave Marketing Chair Olivia Poletti said. “Especially … when the world feels polarized politically and socially, we have our Tulane experience in common.”

Homecoming has different impacts for everyone. For junior and Tidal Wave President Paul Simon, Homecoming highlights the great things about Tulane in one short week.

“[It] means Tulanians putting our differences aside to celebrate everything that makes our institution one of the greatest universities in the world,” Simon said.

Tidal Wave Week commenced on Oct. 30 with the “Lighting of McAlister” at McAlister Auditorium, during which the auditorium was illuminated in an olive and blue light. The event was followed by students racing for Raising Cane’s fried chicken and the presentation of this year’s Homecoming Court.

Students received an enlivening olive and blue dose of school spirit during Tulane Tuesday on the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life Quadrangle, where they sat for portraits with caricature artists, played on an inflatable obstacle course and cooled off with Dippin’ Dots ice cream. Additionally, students could visit a photobooth with props and a Legacy United tent, where students customized miniature street signs.

Later in the night, students relived their childhood years at a screening of “Halloweentown” in McAlister Auditorium.

Adding some humor to the week, comedians Rhea Butcher and Kyle Ayers were featured at a Comedy Show on Wednesday.

After much anticipation, students welcomed Jesse McCartney to campus Thursday night. Fans were sure to get front row seats to McCartney as they started gathering around 6 p.m. for the 7 p.m. showtime. New Orleans-based band Caddywhompus opened the night with mixed reactions from the audience.

When McCartney took the stage, he sang a string of hits, including “Leavin’,” “Back Together” and “Shake.” At one point, he invited a fan onstage as he sang a cover of Robin Thicke’s “The Stupid Things.” When McCartney left the stage at 9:15, fans noticed that a song was missing from the set list. They started chanting “Beautiful Soul” until McCartney returned to finish the show with his 2004 hit.

“I think the Jesse McCartney concert was definitely my highlight for the week,” senior and Tidal Wave Communications Chair Ali Lange said. “He put on such a great show.”

Omar Shbeeb | Staff Photographer
Jesse McCartney took the stage Thursday evening to perform both old and new hits. He ended the set with his well-known song “Beautiful Soul.”

During the McCartney concert, set up was already beginning for Friday’s Homecoming Carnival. The carnival began at 2 p.m. on the LBC Quad. Students rode on carnival rides spread out across the quad, like Super Shot and Zero Gravity, accompanied by live music and a fireworks show. Tidal Wave members handed out drinks and Homecoming-themed shirts to students throughout the event. Students were also given two complimentary tickets to use at the available food trucks.

When Homecoming week culminated on Saturday, much of the Tulane community was in the mood for “A Helluva Hullabaloo.”

Students, alumni and family tailgated together on the quad as they prepared for the annual Homecoming football game. At 3 p.m., the game kicked off at Yulman Stadium, as the Green Wave went head-to-head with the Cincinnati Bearcats.

During halftime, the Homecoming Court took to the field, and President Fitts presented the 2017 Homecoming Queen and King: seniors Jessica Dang and Patrick Magruder.

Though the Homecoming game ended in a 17-16 loss for the Wave, Lange remained hopeful about students’ school spirit.

“I hope people take away a feeling of pride in their school in celebrating our traditions and our community,” Lange said.