Fashion Forecast: NOLA winter what-to-wear

Faith McLean, Staff Writer

Fashion Graphic (Maggie Pasterz)

As hurricane season comes to an end, Tulane students should not be fooled into thinking Louisiana’s unpredictable, crazy weather is over. In fact, Tulane students should begin to prepare their closets for all sorts of seasons. 

Louisiana is well-known for its sporadic weather patterns in winter. Mistakenly, I have worn a warm sweater and turtleneck to class, believing the weather app when it says it was 55 degrees outside in New Orleans when really it felt like 75.

A pro-tip: do not believe the degree forecasted in bold letters staring at you on your phone screen. Instead, scroll to the bottom of your weather app to check the “what it actually feels like” column to decide if it is a sweater weather kind of day or not.

1. Frosty and fit look recommendations

Like most Gen-Z legging wearers, my leggings are quite worn in. They have become a closet staple and are reliable for cold and wet weather. But with the popularity of the 60s flared trend that keeps creeping back into fashion, I suggest investing in a pair of flared yoga pants this upcoming winter. 

By no means am I suggesting ditching your favorite straight leg, high-waisted pair of leggings. As of now, the classic legging is still predicted to be in style for a while. Instead, replace your old stained grey sweatpants and your overused joggers. Take some inspiration from New York street fashion and opt for a wide-legged, colorful sweatpant to rock to class.

With the Princess Diana biker short and sweatshirt combination coming back into style, influencers have graced our Instagram feeds wearing bodycon biker short onesies — an elevated version of Diana’s iconic gym fit. If athleisure is more your style, consider a legging version of the onesie unitard silhouette. 

2. Cozy and chic winter look recommendations

The sherpa jacket, made popular again by Emma Chamberlain, has officially fallen off the fashion radar. In the last few weeks, I have noticed a shift on campus with people favoring leather instead. However, you do not have to compromise your sherpa obsession with a thin, cold leather jacket — instead, consider getting a faux-fur-lined leather jacket, the perfect mix for a cool and comfortable aesthetic.

Since Louisiana winters may not be as cold for Northwesterner native Tulane students, some may be wanting a lighter, breezier look for class. Although it may be tempting to throw on a vest buried deep in the bottom of your closet, try to put together an outfit with an interesting cut-out long sleeve top, dress, skirt or pant. Designers like Coperni, Mugler and Dion Lee incorporate cutout designs in their fall and winter 2021 collections this season. So, for our more cold-accustomed students, don’t be shy!

3. Indie and instyle winter look recommendations

If you want a more laid back, street fashion-inspired style for when it will inevitably get hot and humid, I recommend mastering the art of smart layering. Hot weather and layering may seem like a contradiction in theory. But, through years of experience, I have a couple of pointers for adding texture and layers that won’t make you sweat.

No longer do you need to wear a long sleeve turtleneck under your favorite oversized T-shirt or thrifted crew jumper. Brands like Skim and stores like Everlane have brought back mock turtleneck bodysuits and crop tops. Find an inexpensive vintage turtleneck from a local thrift shop and simply cut off the sleeves and crop it to your desired length. 

Second, the best way to layer any summer dress or skirt is by pairing it with your favorite lace or sheer slip dress. Recycle a short, dark-colored dress from your summer closet and complement it with a bright-colored slip dress underneath for a pop of personality and dimension. 

If you want to make your look even more layered without the risk of sweating, then layer with sheer, breathable tights. Personally, I reserve fishnets for Halloween and Mardi Gras exclusively. If you are like me and you prefer sheer tights for everyday wear, then spice up the dated plain sheer tight look with a patterned tight design instead. Many brands like Savage X Fenty and stores like Anthropologie have been stocking their shelves with unique sheer designed tights this winter season.