Tulane student found dead in off-campus residence

A Tulane student was found dead by New Orleans Police Department around 10:30 p.m. Friday at his off-campus residence.

The student was identified as 22-year-old Ryan Morey by a Tulane Division of Student Affairs representative and the Orleans Parish Coroner’s Office. Morey was a senior at Tulane, studying Latin American studies with minors in Spanish and psychology. He was also a member of Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.

An autopsy was completed by the coroner’s office, but the cause of death has not been determined at this time.

We know that Ryan touched many lives throughout the Tulane and New Orleans communities,” President Michael Fitts said in an email to the community.

Fitts said the university is in contact with Morey’s family and friends. A memorial service will be held on March 12 at Sparkman Hillcrest Funeral Home in Dallas.

For those in need of help, contact The Line at 504-264-6074, or The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline can be reached 24 hours a day at 1-800-273-8255. 

Counseling and Psychological Services will reopen following Mardi Gras break on Wednesday morning and can be reached at 504-314-2277. The CAPS office, located in the Science and Engineering Complex, is open 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. CAPS provides mental health counseling and other related services. If you are concerned about another individual, please fill out Tulane’s concerns report form.

Student Resources and Support Services will be available between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. beginning on Wednesday at 504-314-2160. The Employee Assistance Program is available at 504-865-5280.