Aloiloi, Newton break bests at cross country away meet

Maggie O'Rear, Staff Reporter

The Green Wave cross country team traveled Saturday to West Seattle’s Lincoln Park in Washington to compete in the 24th Annual Sundodger Cross Country Invitational.

Six Tulane runners posted lifetime-best marks including sophomores Moses Aloiloi and Emma Newton with team best times of 24:35.34 and 21:35.14, respectively. Aloiloi competed in the 8K and placed 10th overall while Newton competed in the 6K and placed 21st.

Like Aloiloi, seniors Jack White and Nicholas Meloro both achieved lifetime best marks with 25:35.57 and 26:29.52, respectively.

Freshman Emmanuel Rotich placed 18th overall with a 25:10.80 in what was his collegiate debut. Fellow freshman Pierce Hill came in 37th with a 25:58.68. As a whole, the Tulane men came in fourth place out of five teams. 

“Every one of [the men] ran very aggressively and put themselves into a position through about six kilometers where it looked as if we were going to have as good of a team performance as we’ve had in years … but we just weren’t able to hang on to it,” head coach Eric Peterson said.

The Tulane women brought back eighth place at the invitational. Sophomore Lauren Bartels finished 24th and senior Mikayla Sonneborn finished 32nd with lifetime bests of 21:41.58 and 22:24.60.

Freshman Sarah Marvin placed next for the Green Wave with a 23:11.76 and 64th place, followed by redshirt-freshman Becca Blitt with a 23:57.57 and 78th place and sophomore Emily-Kathryn Hoey with a 24:39.48 and 84th.

“I’ve got mixed emotions about the [women’s] results,” Peterson said. “I know that the team is very young and inexperienced, but we need to find an answer and some solutions. We’re going to work hard moving forward at getting that done.”

The Green Wave competes next on Oct. 2 in the Paul Shore Run in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.