Tulane’s pro-life organizations spark controversy in student body

Kaitlyn Lowe, Contributing Columnist

Doxey Kamara

“ABORTION KILLS” read the unmissable mural on the Academic Quad on April 12, along with “she’s human too” and plenty more pronounced pro-life messages. Quotes of women expressing their regret after having an abortion, encouraging women to “know their options,” were spread across billboard-sized paintings as well as diagrams of fetus development and a mural of famous adopted figures were advertised to the Tulane University student body in this political spectacle.  

The exhibit was constructed and presented by the Louisiana Right to Life organization in their College Efforts branch. Their organization states that their mission is to “Help Our Students Change Hearts and Minds While Defending Life On Louisiana’s College Campuses.” Alongside the proclamation, they state that 70% of Louisianians are pro-life, and Louisiana stands as the second most pro-life state. 

Students became uproared and offended by this right-wing organization taking a position on Tulane University’s campus to present such ideas. Students felt that it was graphic, triggering and even traumatic for somebody who may have had an abortion. 

This could be seen at the campaign’s site itself. The Free Speech Wall planted in the middle of the exhibit read off mixed messages of both encouragement and hate — posing questions as to where the student body stands regarding the issue. The sign reads out “I had an abortion and it saved my life,” yet also “Our lives are a gift.” 

Protestors stood around the exhibit, showing off pro-choice cardboard signs in the air. Tulane students continued their battle on Instagram to express their opinions directly, which caused an online frenzy between them and the organization itself. Students not only voiced their hatred and disdain towards the organization but also attested to donating to Planned Parenthood due to the organization’s presence here. 

Louisiana Right to Life commented back to some saying “Let’s stop the killing of babies and promote well-being” and “abortion simply isn’t necessary.” College Director Kandace Landreneau tagged students who chose to comment on her posts saying “see you all again soon!” 

Looking at the bigger picture, what the exhibit did was cause uproar, disagreement and conversation. 

The Turning Point USA table stood tall and loudly shouted bible verses at students on their way to class the same day. 

Where does the university as a whole stand with the issue? What is being talked about and what is not? 

For starters — students were outraged these exhibits were on campus — but have not begun to think about the fact that Tulane also has had a Tulane University Right to Life club since 2008. 

TURTL club advocates for “the protection of all human life from conception to natural death … We are, therefore, #prowoman #prolife.” The recent week revealed to a large portion of the student body that Tulane is not as liberal or progressive as it seems. 

What is the time and place for these discussions and debates on college campuses? While both of these campaigns presented openly with police camped out and publicly posted up on our fields, its main effect was just drawing attention and causing commotion. The backlash of students had moved away from a political scheme to a dramatic spectacle on a regular Tuesday.