Tulane falls to Tulsa 50-27 for third conference loss of season

Starting quarterback Glen Cuiellette throws the ball in a game against Memphis. The Green Wave is currently 0-3 in the American Athletic Conference, and will try for their first conference win Saturday, October 29 against the SMU Mustangs.

Jared Chado, Contributing Reporter

This weekend, Tulane (3-4, 0-3 American Athletic Conference) travelled to H.A. Chapman stadium to take on in-conference rival, the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (5-2, 2-1 AAC). Despite racking up a nifty 355 rushing yards, the Green Wave ultimately fell to the Golden Hurricanes, 50-27.

In spite of their defensive woes, the Green Wave offense had perhaps their best outing of the season on the ground. Running backs Josh Rounds and Dontrell Hilliard both broke their personal single game rushing records with 166 yards on 15 carries and 124 yards on 12 carries, respectively. Moreover, the duo had a combined averaged 10.74 yards per carry.

While Tulane dominated on the ground, it struggled to earn yards in the passing game. In his fifth start of the season, sophomore quarterback Glen Cuiellette completed only three of his 19 passing attempts (15.8 percent) for an impressively low 37-yards. All three of his competitions were in the first half.

The Green Wave defense shared Cuillette’s struggles throughout the game. In the first half, the Golden Hurricane scored on five of its seven drives to go up 31-7 at the half. The two bright spots for the Tulane defense were lineman Tanzel Smart and Luke Jackson, who combined for 3.5 tackles for losses and a sack.

In the second half, the Tulane offense began to pick up momentum. Despite giving up a touchdown on Tulsa’s first drive of the half, the Green Wave was able to outscore the Golden Hurricane, 13-9, in the 3rd quarter.

After an uneventful fourth quarter, the game ultimately ended with a score of 50-27. Next week, Tulane will host SMU (3-4, 1-2 AAC) at home for a chance to earn its first in-conference win of the season. This game can perhaps be considered a “must-win” by Coach Fritz and the Green Wave, who currently sit at the bottom of the AAC West.